The first experience of Sahaja Yoga meditation is called Self Realisation. With Sahaja Yoga Meditation we generally sit on chairs to achieve Yoga, effortlessly & spontaneously. As such no Asanas (exercises) are required, no mat or special clothing.
Meditation is a state of mental silence or rest, where our attention is aware, but not engrossed in thinking. It is known as ‘thoughtless awareness’. It is achieved when the indwelling Kundalini energy awakens and carries the individual attention beyond the level of the 6th chakra, into the seventh chakra, known as Sahasrara.
It is here we achieve Yoga! As the mind finds rest and silence, we become able to feel our inner Self (Spirit). This can be tangibly felt, it actually manifests, as a cool wind, breath or breeze, often experienced on the palms of the hands or at the top (crown) of the head. It is a spontaneous, effortless natural happening.
Each week many people experience this actualisation at one of the many free meditation classes on offer.
You can join a class in any of the following – Free Meditation Classes in London
Want to experience it now – Experience Self Realisation now – Guided Meditation
Queens Speech mentions Meditation – A Time to Reflect
You can also – Register to receive the Sahaj eNewsletter
Keep up to date with our latest news, events and dates for Special One Day Retreats by registering to receive our eNewsletter- there are 4-6 issues per year. Register to receive the Sahaj eNewsletter
Mother nature’s meditation road map.
Mother nature meditation road map. Mother nature has placed inside us a complex energetic system that we can simplify as three main energetic channels and seven main energetic centres, known as Chakras, as you can see in the image. Each chakra governs different qualities. Hence the state of these centres determines the quality of our life: if they are awakened and in balance, then we live in harmony and serenity. So necessarily, finding that balance becomes a target for those who want to experience a life of self knowledge and inner balance.
How to get into balance?
The secret of the Sahaja Yoga method resides within us, at the base of the spinal chord, in a triangular bone called the ‘sacrum bone’. Since our birth in our sacrum bone dwells an inner energy called in Sanskrit Kundalini; it is characterised as a feminine energy and once activated, this energy rises along our spine until it reaches the top of the head and finally connects with the universal energy. This union is called ‘yoga’ in Sanskrit.
As our indwelling Kundalini rises through the central channel, this benevolent feminine energy activates the chakras, removing all the impurities from them and nourishing the entire inner system. It is through this happening that we are elevated into ‘thoughtless awareness’, the mental silence of true meditation.
You are welcome to drop into one of our London Meditation classes – free weekly meetings at Free Meditation Classes in London
Simply watch this video Experience Self Realisation now – Guided Meditation and you will see how easy it is to feel a gentle soothing cool energy above your head – which is your own!
Stress and all the physiological impacts it has upon a law enforcement officer’s body and mind are a major contributing factor to many of the ills that befall police officers and other law enforcement professionals. Even though this article is written using the term police officer, it isn’t meant to exclude other law enforcement professionals like deputy sheriffs, corrections officers, parole officers, probation officers, DA’s investigators, dispatchers, CSI’s, code enforcement officers, wildlife officers, park rangers, etc. The problems of stress seem inherent in the law enforcement profession in general and no one seems immune to its toxic effects.
The Law Enforcement Survival Institute offers a prescription for law enforcement stress management called ‘Rx3x’. The prescription (Rx) is for stress management activities three times (3x) a day. The Rx3x process calls for a combination of mind and body exercises to reduce and manage excessive stress on days when a law enforcement officer or other professional is working. The process calls for:
1. A Physical Fitness Workout of 30-45 min each day focused upon building strength and aerobic fitness;
2. A Buffer Workout for Stress Reduction (20-30 min) between the work and home transition; and
3. A Stress Management Session (20-30 min) later in the day focused upon reducing mental stress.
A career in law enforcement can become very toxic… and is surrounded with many dangers both overt and hidden.
In the course of an average day a police officer might have to deal with violent offenders, sexual predators, toxic chemicals, auto accidents, drunks, tragedy, trauma, death and destruction and that’s just before lunch.
The symptoms of excessive and un-managed stress in law enforcement include: police officer suicide, depression, alcohol and drug abuse, domestic violence, heart attacks, cancer, disability and PTSD. These are the ‘Hidden Dangers’ of a career in law enforcement and might be the result of chronic or cumulative un-managed stress.
All of the things mentioned above can cause stress on the officer’s body and mind. Some of this stress is short lived and may dissipate quickly. Other stresses are more insidious and may be spread over an entire career, leading to more chronic problems within both their your body and mind. When coupled with the disruptions of shift work, fatigue, poor nutrition and inadequate self care, the situation is rife for major and long-term problems.
The Rx3x solution involves both an officer and agency commitment to change the individual and group’s response to these disturbing factors.
The first component is a fitness workout much like many officers already perform. It should involve 30-45 minutes of strenuous exercise designed to keep the officer’s body performing at peak ability. Physical fitness also helps the mind combat stress and builds the body’s immune system. The Mayo Clinic recommends a balanced fitness program involving five elements for a well-rounded routine. The five areas needed for performance improvement are Aerobic Fitness, Muscular Fitness, Stretching, Core Stability and Balance Training. Officers should try to vary their workouts during the week to include all of these components.
Goal: To develop and improve your level of physical fitness which helps your stress management.
The second component of the Rx3x system is a buffer workout between the officer’s work shift and going home. The workout should be some type of repetitious physical activity coupled with rhythmic deep breathing exercises and should have the main intent of relieving excessive stress. For example you could walk, ride a bicycle, run or work on the treadmill or stair step machine while focusing on your breath. Try to clear your mind and let the stresses from your day dissipate so that you don’t take them home with you. I know this sounds simplistic and on some days difficult to do, but with regular practice you will be able to quickly eliminate all but the most difficult stresses. Try to establish a cadence while repeating the word ‘Calm’. This is relaxing in nature and gives you a simple 4 count (C,A,L,M) to control your breathing.
Goal: To relax and calm down before going home.
The third and final component of the Rx3x system is a session of dedicated relaxation time with elimination of excessive stress as the primary goal. According to Herbert Benson, M.D., Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and the author of the book The Relaxation Response, ‘The relaxation response is a physical state of deep rest that changes the physical and emotional responses to stress… and the opposite of the fight or flight response’. Described simply, the ‘Relaxation Response’ triggers a dramatic decrease in heart rate, breathing rate, blood pressure and metabolic rate that, with dedicated practice, counteracts the harmful effects of stress. His original research indicated that you could accomplish this with four things: A quiet environment, a mental device (like repeating a word or phrase), a passive attitude (putting aside distracting thoughts and always focusing on your breathing), and a comfortable position. His further research found that only the passive attitude and mental device were really needed, and this practice can be performed with exercise as long as the activity is repetitious and the intent is always to clear your mind of distractions and return your focus to your repeated word in sync with your breathing rate. You can call this meditation or ‘quiet time’ if you prefer but there are many ways to accomplish it.
A daily stress management regime could include any of these types of Stress Management Practices:
Progressive Muscle Relaxation
The Relaxation Response – Coupling Activity and Breathing
You can learn more about these techniques at the Mayo Clinic website or other locations on the Internet. See the list of articles from the Mayo Clinic at the bottom of this article.
Goal: To develop a regular stress reduction practice that allows you to evoke the physiological ‘relaxation response’.
Deep breathing techniques are something every officer or law enforcement professional should be taught and should use on a daily basis to improve aerobic capacity and help dissipate excessive stress. According to Dr. Andrew Weil ‘Practicing regular, mindful breathing can be calming and energizing and can even help with stress-related health problems ranging from panic attacks to digestive disorders.’ To assist you in learning the value of proper deep breathing techniques visit the website of Dr. Andrew Weil and read his article entitled: ‘Breathing: Three Exercises’
Stress management is not just an officer’s responsibility. In order to reduce the stresses of the job of enforcing the law, agencies must also take an active role in providing an environment and culture of reducing stress and promoting healthy stress management and fitness activities.
In our training program ‘ Armor Your Self™‘ The Law Enforcement Survival Institute promotes the concepts of Tactical Wellness Planning utilizing the ‘7 Core Concepts for Stress Reduction’:
1. Daily Individual Practice
2. Regular Team Debriefings
3. Work/Home Buffer Zone or Workout
4. Critical Incident Support
5. Long Range Cumulative Stress Management Planning
6. Support from Your Peers and Family through organized systems of communication
7. Organizational Support from your agency and its mental health support network.
We also provide a ‘Realistic Threat Assessment of Wellness Vulnerabilities’ using our Threat Assessment Instrument to evaluate the impacts of career stress and then create a plan for Mental, Physical, Emotional, Spiritual wellness built around protective factors that help to reduce the effects of chronic and cumulative stress.
A Quick Review to help you create your ‘Personal Stress Management Plan’
You Should Be Doing Two Kinds of Workouts
One For Strength & Endurance
One For Stress Reduction
Plus a Session of Stress Management Every Day
Rx = 3x Daily
Workout for Exercise
Buffer Workout for Stress Reduction
Stress Management Session
The Mayo Clinic Recommends A Five Part Fitness Program
Aerobic Fitness, Muscular Fitness, Stretching, Core Stability and Balance Training
Buffer Workout for Stress Reduction
After Work, Before Going Home
For Relaxation & Stress Release Not Exercise
Couple Workout like Running or Bike with Deep Rhythmic Breathing
Use Cadence or Key Word to Clear Your Mind
Consider repeating the word ‘Calm’ (it is relaxing in nature and gives you a simple 4 count to control your breathing.)
Duration 20-30 minutes
CALM = Clear All Losing Mindsets
CALM – Quiet Your Mind, Relax Your Body CALM is Mandatory!
Remember in Stress Management Small Steps Lead to Big Improvements!
CLICK HERE for a copy of our CopsAlive.com Stress Management Roll Call Discussion Training Key (Rc10m)
CopsAlive interviews with Stress Management Experts:
Lisa Wimberger of TPCG
Lisa Wimberger works on a national level with law enforcement officers suffering Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, both at the agency and individual levels. Lisa’s ability to bring tools to law enforcement agencies offers a proactive solution to stress management and crisis intervention. These techniques are truly alternative modalities for a healthier person and organization. Lisa specializes in training individuals and organizations to understand, identify and retrain stress patterns that undermine job performance.
To listen to our interview CLICK HERE
Professor Edward LeClair has been a criminal justice professional since1969. During the last 15 years, working with dozens of police departments in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, Professor LeClair has researched, designed and implemented the Law Enforcement Officer Stress Reduction Program with unique training based upon gender and sexual assault investigator’s stress reduction.
To listen to the interview: CLICK HERE
Asken, Michael J. and Dave Grossman and Loren W. Christensen Warrior Mindset. Millstadt, IL: Warrior Science Group, 2010.
Anderson, Wayne and David Swenson and Daniel Clay. Stress Management For Law Enforcement Officers. New Jersey: Prentice Hall, Inc, 1995.
Gilmartin, Kevin M. Emotional Survival For Law Enforcement. Tucson: E-S Press, 2002.
Please read these Mayo Clinic Articles:
‘Fitness training: Elements of a well-rounded routine’
Stay Safe, and Stay Healthy!
CopsAlive is written to prompt discussions within our profession about the issues of law enforcement career survival. We invite you to share your opinions in the Comment Box that is at the bottom of this article.
CopsAlive.com was founded to provide information and strategies to help police officers successfully survive their careers. We help law enforcement officers and their agencies prepare for the risks that threaten their existence.
We will help your agency create the kind of place that supports and protects officers so that they can do their jobs better, safer, longer and survive to tell their grand kids all about it.
We do this by Helping Law Enforcement professionals plan for happy, healthy and successful lives on the job and beyond. We think the best strategy is for each officer to create a tactical plan for their own life and career. We call this Tactical Wellness planning and it’s part of our Armor Your Self™ training program.
The Law Enforcement Survival Institute (LESI) works with individuals and organizations to help them create and sustain success in their lives and careers as law enforcement professionals. It is the primary goal of The Law Enforcement Survival Institute to become the preeminent source for training, resources and information about how to create and sustain a happy, healthy and successful life and career while providing superior law enforcement service to your community.
The Law Enforcement Survival Institute uses the Armor Your Self™ training program to educate law enforcement officers about how to cope with stress and manage all the toxic effects and hidden dangers of their career in law enforcement.
We provide stress management and Tactical Wellness training for police officers as well as other law enforcement professionals.
CLICK HERE to read more about The Law Enforcement Survival Institute.
CLICK HERE if you would like to contact us to learn more about training for your organization.
After publishing an article highlighting the health and wellness programs of the top 10 Fortune 500 companies, the team at Health Fitness Revolution and its founder Samir Becic took it a step further and compiled a list of the wellness programs of the top 100 companies of the Fortune 500.
These companies stand at the top of the business realm and serve as an example for all corporations and employers to motivate and encourage their employees to be healthy and fit. With a healthier staff, businesses can be more productive and successful as a team.
‘Considering that corporations are the backbone of the U.S. economy, I personally believe that it is crucial that they have strong wellness programs in order to reassure the productivity, creativity, and powerful dynamic that is in their potential,’ Becic said.
The heightened benefits and proof of successful investment include:
- Healthier, more productive working employees
- Lower stress levels
- Lower turnover / higher employee retention rates
- Fewer sick days
- Lower insurance premiums
- Protection of a company’s greatest asset – the employee
- Higher self-esteem and a greater team-building mentality
- Increased energy and vitality in the workplace
- A more optimistic, positive attitude
- A greater eagerness to succeed and lead, along with the energy to do so
- Improvement in family life brings improvement into the workplace
- Greater community synergy, greater company synergy
- Has a company-wide ‘Get Moving’ program that states: ‘Make physical activity part of your regular day. Being active can help you stay healthy, control your weight, lower your risk for many chronic conditions, including heart disease, some cancers and diabetes. A brisk half-hour walk every day can help you improve your health. You will enjoy the benefits of greater energy, better mood and improved sleep.’
- Chevron offers a variety of programs to help employees find the best way to lead a more active lifestyle. Participation in any of these programs is voluntary.
- Participating employees may be eligible for Health Rewards in 2015 including a $250 Wellness Credit added to their Health Care Spending Account* on January 1, 2016 and they can also be entered in a drawing for a chance to win free medical premiums for all of 2016 for themselves and their eligible dependents.
- Chevron encourages employee health ‘When it comes to your health, you have the power to create change. It’s commitment to the small steps that makes the biggest difference, and Chevron resources can help you along the way. If you’ve been thinking about exercising more, losing weight or quitting tobacco this year, then here’s your chance to get help committing to those goals, one small change at a time. And while you’re making those small changes, why not get points toward health rewards?’
- On-site Chevron Fitness Centers: Chevron fitness centers also provide a broad range of illness and injury prevention training, health education and exercise opportunities. Some locations also offer massage therapy.
- National fitness partnerships: In addition to the Chevron locations that have on-site fitness centers, Chevron employees and their dependents have the opportunity to join 24 Hour Fitness or Anytime Fitness health clubs at our preferred corporate rate.
- Healthy Heart Program with WebMD- By participating in this program employees can create a plan for exercise, work with a health coach, and use a variety of online tools and resources that are personalized to them.
- Employees can listen to online Health Audio casts that cover a variety of health topics, including exercise.
- Health wise Health Encyclopedia access: The Healthwise website is available to employees for a variety of health information and decision-making tools. The site provides links to how-to information about physical activity. The site includes info on walking for wellness, reducing back pain, and healthy weight.
4. Berkshire Hathaway
- Apple released a new advert geared towards the health and fitness market promoting it’s workout features. The advert is called ‘Strength’.
- Steve Jobs wanted to pass on his love of meditation to others in the workplace, allowing employees of the tech giant to take 30 minutes each day to meditate at work, providing classes on meditation and yoga on-site, and offering the use of a meditation room.
- They released an Apple watch that includes a comprehensive selection of health apps for measuring heart rate, activity, nutrition, sleep, and more.
- Apple has released an app called HealthKit and says that ‘It just might be the beginning of a health revolution,’
- The new Health app gives an easy‑to‑read dashboard of health and ﬁtness data such as heart rate, calories burned, blood sugar, and cholesterol .
- They can help guide well-being by offering a comprehensive package of wellness programs designed to help make smart choices so one can feel better and live well.
- Their wellness programs are confidential, completely voluntary and provided by the company at no cost to the employee and their dependents.
- Depending on how much activities, an employee can get compensated with cash rewards for staying healthy.
- Phillips 66 believes that there is no excuse to avoid the gym because they will reimburse the employee for their gym membership and up to 50% of their dependence for up to 300 dollars.
- They offer free screening that tests blood pressure and cholesterol to body mass and blood sugar and can help identify risk factors for future health issues early on, while there’s still time to take action.
- Phillips 66 has partnered up with WebMD as their wellness partner and includes services such as:
- Health Assessment – A confidential online questionnaire that provides a personalized wellness report and an action plan to improve health.
- WebMD Health Coaching – One-on-one phone meetings with a health expert who can help one improve their health, and to provide social support.
- My Health Assistant – A virtual health coach that creates simple weekly plans to keep one motivated to reach their goals in a variety of areas.
- Health Record – A tool to help keep track of health records in a single, secure and convenient place.
- WebMD Pregnancy Assistant – A fun, interactive tool for both the mom-to-be or dad-to-be to promote healthy pregnancy.
9. General Electric
- General Electric’s Health Coach program offers all workers access to trained nurses who can answer questions on everything from claim issues to chronic illness.
- The company also offers NowClinic, a program that allows employees to video-chat with physicians 24/7 to obtain a quick diagnosis.
- Healthymagination is working toward better health for more people. They’re committed to continuously develop and invest in innovations that deliver high-quality, more affordable healthcare to more people around the world.
- HealthAhead, GE’s internal health program to improve the health of GE employees
- Promotes 100% tobacco-free campuses.
- Approximately 2/3 of their global employee population impacted positively by HealthAhead.
- GE partners with their employees and their families around the world to help them live and work healthier, to reduce health-related work absences and to limit the growing cost of employee healthcare.
- GE Healthcare’s use of social media in its annual #GetFit competition has far-reaching significance to the 25.5 million participants* worldwide, who have used the social networks to take part, interact, and engage with others to promote awareness about helping cancer prevention through healthy living.
- #GetFit campaign encourages participants to share their healthy habits and join in the challenge via social media.
- The company also takes a proactive approach to health, offering inexpensive gym memberships to employees, their spouses, adult children, and even company retirees.
9. Valero Energy
12. CVS Caremark
- Has ‘Project Health Screening’. Quick, convenient and no appointment necessary!
- Employees get a 1-on-1 consultation with health care and insurance professionals Plus, see if they qualify for health insurance savings. These confidential free screenings will be performed by medical professionals. These screenings check for:
- Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Blood Pressure
- Also support the employee to quit smoking
- These screenings take place all over the United States in many cities.
- Made headlines last year when they decided to stop selling cigarettes in CVS’s nationwide.
13. Fannie Mae
14. UnitedHealth Group
- Offer their employees access to a wellness program, including Vitality, weight watchers and quit-for-life.
- These programs include easy access to online tools that encourage education and understanding of health risks, incentive-based wellness programs, and overall health management.
- As employees and their families participate in healthy activities, such as walking 10,000 steps per day or getting preventive health screenings, they enjoy the benefits of healthier living and earn Vitality Points, which can be redeemed for rewards.
- Employees have the opportunity to participate in the following health and wellness activities:
- A biometric screening
- An online health risk assessment
- A pedometer linked to the on-line Vitality website
- Subsidized gym membership fees
- Weight Watchers membership
- ‘Quit for Life’ membership
- 100% coverage for preventative care
- Easy access to online tools and resources
- McKesson had recently received Platinum certification in the ‘2013 Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles’ award presented by the National Business Group on Health.
16. Verizon Communications
- The company’s comprehensive approach to health and wellness effectively combines benefits, incentives, support, and health services to help employees.
- Verizon’s strategy involves engaging and empowering employees, retirees, and their families to proactively manage and improve their health, the company spent nearly $3.2 billion in 2013 to provide comprehensive health benefits.
- The strategy emphasizes preventive care and early detection, condition management, maternity care management, and promoting healthy lifestyles with a focus on healthy eating, exercise, tobacco cessation, emotional health, and work/life balance.
- Forty-five on site Verizon Health and Wellness Centers, staffed by trained professionals who are Verizon employees, promote the importance of healthy lifestyle habits through physical activity, nutrition counseling seminars, and more.
- Employees in Verizon locations without a wellness center have access to discounted memberships at more than 2,000 health clubs.
- Verizon significantly expanded online access to healthy living information with a new one-stop health and wellness portal called WellConnect, which provides access to all Verizon wellness programs, as well as personalized health information, online tools, mobile apps, a video library, and healthy living tips to help individuals eat well, stay active, and maintain a balanced lifestyle.
- Verizon offers no-cost biometric health screenings, such as cholesterol and blood sugar tests, along with height, weight, blood pressure, and body mass index (BMI) screenings.
- Breast health informational sessions and mammogram screenings were also offered at 21 work locations and more than 600 women took advantage of the on-site screenings in 2013.
- More than 20,000 employees received flu shots on-site, a positive increase of 8 percent.
- The company provides 100 percent coverage for preventive care.
- The National Business Group on Health (NBGH) has named Verizon to its 2009 list of Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles.
18. J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.
19. Costco Wholesale
- Includes a Live Healthy Program in employee benefits which provides:
- Live Healthy dietitian.
- Live Healthy library- includes different topics of research like Arthritis, Asthma, hypertension, and many more.
- Eating Smart program- provides detailed information on what to include in your daily diet. Also includes recipes, eating smart websites and Nutritional tips.
- Health Clubs- discounted rates at particular gyms across the country for employees.
- SImple Steps to a Healthier Life
- Smoking Cessation Program
- Weight Watchers
- Wellness Videos
20. Express Script Holdings
- Offers low healthcare related costs for employees.
- No other published information found.
21. Bank of America
22. Cardinal Health
- They believe health and wellness is a key to the success of their employees and they want to make their communities healthy too.
- Cardinal Health Receives Platinum from the National Business Group on Health Awards Company Highest Honor for the Third Consecutive Year.
- They have an ongoing commitment to promoting a healthy workplace and encouraging employees and their families to pursue and maintain healthy lifestyles.
- ‘Since the launch of our Healthy Lifestyles program, we’ve worked to provide the tools and resources our employees need to engage in a healthy approach to living,’ said Carole Watkins, Chief Human Resources Officer at Cardinal Health.
- The Cardinal Health Healthy Lifestyles program is part of an overarching benefits strategy to promote employees’ well-being by maintaining health through work/life effectiveness resources, web-based tools and preventive care, and improving health and reducing risk through biometric screenings, health advisory services, health assessments and coaching.
- ‘Cardinal Health is among an elite group of organizations that are leading the way to promoting healthy workplaces and lifestyles,’ said Helen Darling, president and CEO of NBGH
- Has a program called Good4Growth which is a partnership between the Cardinal Health Foundation, American Association of Pediatrics, American Dairy Association Mideast, and Action for Healthy Kids. In this program, employees will find practical tools and tips to help anyone who touches a child’s life give that child a great start.
23. International Business Machines (IBM)
- Provide Fitness Center and Gym discounts for employees.
- Offer Weight Watchers program.
25. Marathon Petroleum
- The Well ALL Ways Wellness Plan is the Company’s health promotion plan. The Plan reimburses for gym, fitness or exercise memberships and selected lifestyle improvement courses.
- Employee Assistance Program that offers a 24-hour confidential counseling and referral service. It is staffed by trained professionals to assist employees and their dependents with family/marital, parenting, drug/alcohol abuse, emotional or work-related concerns.
27. Archer Daniels Midland
29. Wells Fargo
- By taking specific healthy actions, employees can earn up to $800 in health and wellness dollars.
- Employees earn health and Wellness dollars by taking
- Health Assessments
- Biometric Screenings (measures blood pressure, blood sugar, cholesterol levels, and body mass index)
- Online wellness education or telephonic wellness coaching program
- These Health and Wellness dollars are used for employee health insurance and other benefits.
- Wellness coaching programs Provides over-the-phone assistance to help you set goals and make changes for a healthier lifestyle
31. Procter & Gamble
32. Freddie Mac
- Has wellness options for employees and their families.
- Insurance plan include:
- Employee Assistance program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- They offer a Wellness Center to see a doctor on site or at home.
- Also offer a Fitness Center for their employees.
33. Home Depot
- Offer plenty of healthy living resources to its employees like:
- Healthy cooking programs- have a designated Chef who cooks healthy and delicious food. They also have a healthy cookbook which consists with recipes from Nutritionists and other employees.
- Physical activity and fitness programs- employees get discounts for various large health club chains. Also have ‘The Home Depot Miles’ where employees are encouraged to walk a mile around the home depot mile walking route before, during or after work hours.
- Home Depot health challenge- A competition every year during summer and winner gets cash prizes.
- Smoking cessation program- free one on one coaching, nicotine patches and other resources.
- Nutrition and weight management programs
- My health chat- chat with other employees and coaches about being active, eating healthy, and outstanding stress.
- My health journey- start a 12 week journey to better health with a step- by- step guide to a healthier you.
- Balanced choices healthy vending program- they maintain a healthy vending food options for employees in their vending machines.
- Weight watchers special offers.
- Free on site flu shot.
- Employee assistance program ( CARE solutions- offers employees and their families with personal and professional issues)
- Wellness patch recognition program- allows all associates to nominate one employee who sets and achieves their wellness goals and the winner receives a wellness patch for their apron and a letter of recognition from The Home Depot.
- No found employee fitness/wellness programs.
37. Walgreens Co.
- On-site Healthy Living Center: This comprehensive health center located in their 108 building includes a physician-run health center, a state-of-the-art fitness center, and a Healthy Living Café serving healthy options for breakfast and lunch. The Center is open to all employees.
- Two Fitness Center options are available at low, competitive rates.
38. WellPoint (renamed Anthem)
- Recognized as a Fit-Friendly worksite by the American Heart Association in 2014
- ‘At WellPoint we strive to create an environment where it’s easier to make healthy choices, provide results oriented wellness programs, promote overall wellbeing and reward healthy outcomes. In fact, our wellness programs are a key component of our employee benefits package,’ said Pamela Ventura, director of Wellness Programs at WellPoint. ‘Our programs target key health improvement opportunities – move more, stress less, eat better, practice prevention and stop smoking. We’re committed to providing the best workplace environment possible and being recognized by the American Heart Associationas a Platinum-Level Fit-Friendly Worksite reinforces the work we’ve done so far.’
- Healthy options are available at onsite cafeterias and in vending machines to help make selecting healthy food easier. The company subsidizes healthy food choices at onsite cafeterias with a healthy dining discount taken at register.
- When catering for meetings, the company provides healthy guidelines for employees to use when making food choices. They encourage consumption of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, and calcium-rich foods while limiting the intake of fat, sodium and sugars. A discount incentive is offered to departments choosing healthy choices.
- Provides on-site fitness centers or health club reimbursements.
- Friendly fitness competitions among its associates.
- Weight management programs.
- Smoking cessation programs.
- Online virtual wellness programs available.
- If employees live more than 5 miles from a WellPoint fitness center, a $35 dollar allowance towards a company-recognized health club.
- Incentives toward the cost of health care coverage for demonstrating healthy behaviors -promoting an overall healthy lifestyle.
39. Johnson & Johnson
- Johnson & Johnson supports many efforts to promote health and wellness and reduce preventable diseases.
- Many years ago, Johnson & Johnson began promoting healthy lifestyles among their employees. A system of company-wide incentives was established to help employees live healthier lives.
- Health Assessment & Counseling to help employees understand and reduce their health risks.
- Opportunities for employees to be physically active through activities and initiatives offered by our companies, some of which provide on-site fitness centers, exercise classes, personal training and health coaching.
- Preventive screenings covered at 100 percent under the Healthy People Medical Plan.
- On-site fitness centers.
- Reimbursement for exercise expenditures.
- A pedometer program.
- Seasonal fitness challenges.
- Guidance on nutrition (offering healthy cafeteria choices and online weight-management tools).
- Lifestyle management, and computerized coaching programs (health coaching for blood pressure management, tobacco cessation, and blood lipid control).
40. American International Group
41. State Farm Insurance
- Benefits and programs support wellness and help make informed lifestyle decisions in areas such as physical activity, nutrition, smoking cessation, and preventive care screenings.
- Has a Wellness website that includes:
- An online Wellness Assessment that will help employees understand their current health status and give them personalized feedback on how to improve
- Information and lessons about health, fitness, nutrition, stress management, and weight management.
- Access to 10 online Healthy Living programs that guide employees through a 6-week program to help achieve their health and wellness goals.
- Current health topics in the Healthy News section.
- Information about individual health needs and how to make wise choices.
- Their global wellness strategy is designed to get associates and their families involved in developing and maintaining healthy behaviors to improve their overall quality of life.
- In 2012, they launched a global wellness center of excellence to establish global principles and identify appropriate programs.
- Provide employees with Healthy Living Wellness Coaching programs (including Tobacco-free program) apart from regular insurance coverage.
- Their Healthy Living program encourages associates and their families to focus on healthy lifestyles at home, at work and at play.
- It includes:
- Preventive screenings and rewards for participating in personal health assessments and for completing health improvement programs
- Personalized coaching
- Fitness and nutrition programs
- Online tools and resources
- Educational messaging
- Worksite wellness initiatives and health benefit coverage to promote healthier lifestyles
- Because emotional well-being is an important part of a healthy lifestyle, the company offers stress management and coping skills in 20 countries. In the U.S. and Canada, they offer one-on-one coaching sessions via telephone. They also provide incentives of $50 for completing the online wellness program and up to $100 for completing the phone-based wellness coaching program in the U.S. Additionally, in Canada, Mexico, the U.S., and many countries across Europe, an Employee Assistance Program provides free confidential counseling to help employees address a range of personal issues..
45. United Technologies
- Commit both time and resources to promote and support good nutrition, physical activity, stress management and other health improvements to employees and contractors.
- One recent campaign – ‘Know Your Numbers’ – offered employees a voluntary and confidential effort designed to help identify key health indicators including cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar and Body Mass Index (BMI).
- ‘We’re committed to reaching employees to educate them on the importance of diet and lifestyle in maintaining overall health and preventing chronic diseases’.
- Wellness Centers
- Farmers Markets
- Physical activity, nutrition and behavioral health challenges.
- Heart health and fitness presentations and other wellness activities.
- Have 4 regional medical directors who oversee the health and wellness of the company’s worldwide workforce, each addressing the unique environments and needs of employees.
- In an effort to combat the increased prevalence of heart attack and stroke, they have partnered with the American Heart Association, pledging donations of both time and money.
- Has a tai chi class.
48. Dow Chemical
- Smoking is prohibited (Tobacco), electronic cigarettes are also prohibited.
- Has phone assistance regarding health.
- Encourages to take care of one’s health.
- Promotes healthy eating and weight management.
- Promotes physical activity.
- Also encourages stress management.
- And reminds of ‘Off-The-Job-Safety’ as well.
- Health Improvement programs.
- Self-directed, interactive health programs.
- Offers Activities range from one-day health observances to year-long health challenges, as well as phone-in presentations and discussion groups.
- Believe in good health presentations.
- ‘Dow Health Services provides FREE phone-in presentations on various health-related topics. Good Health Presentations are delivered live by a health professional – for you to participate from work, home or wherever you have safe access to a computer’.
- Quick, Simple, and Healthy Meal Planning.
- Has employee assistance programs.
50. United Parcel Service
- Their corporate wellness program, Healthy Pfizer, provides tools and resources for colleagues to stay healthy or make measurable health improvements
- Live the principles Pfizer promotes as a company,and it will set a new standard of employer-sponsored health improvement in today’s work environment.
- Improve the health of their employees and their families – reducing health risks, identifying chronic conditions in early stages when treatment is more effective, and encouraging healthy behaviors (such as physical activity and good nutrition).
- Make wellness and prevention a part of their overall culture at Pfizer – a ‘culture of health’ – that is adopted company-wide as a core value for their organization and affects their ability to attract and retain the employees who are so important to their success.
- Support their business – directly, by reducing health care costs, and indirectly, by decreasing presenteeism (coming to work when sick) and improving productivity.
- Over 80% of Pfizer colleagues participate in the Healthy Pfizer program.
- As of July 1, 2009 Pfizer sites made a fresh start by officially adopting a tobacco-free workplace policy at all U.S. sites.
- Pfizer is a two-time winner (1990, 2010) of the C. Everett Koop National Health Award.
- Pfizer has been awarded Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles by the National Business Group on Health for 2008-2010.
52. Lowe’s Companies
53. Intel Corporation
54. Energy Transfer Equity, L.P.
- Offer wellness programs as part of their Total Rewards Program- the details are unavailable without an employee login.
55. Cisco Systems, Inc.
- Wellness programs for employess and their spouse or domestic partner.
- Contemporary fitness centers, plus outdoor sports courts, hiking and biking paths, and more.
- Cafés that serve fresh, seasonal, and nutritious food.
- Has a LifeConnections Health Center.
- Has vision care services with an optical dispensary.
- Their doctors are experienced, friendly, and provide high-quality care in a high-tech environment.
- PPO, EPO, and OOA members get free generic prescriptions.
- Employees get a 15 percent discount off all over-the-counter products at the pharmacy.
- There is no medical deductible for Cisco UnitedHealthCare and CIGNA plan members. You pay only 10 percent of the physician office visit to treat an illness or injury (deductible applies to acupuncture, chiropractic care, and physical therapy visits).
56. Enterprise Products Partners L.P.
- Website states that they have many employee benefit packages but does not mention any related for fitness or nutrition.
57. Aetna, Inc.
- Aetna Named Best Employer for Healthy Lifestyles by the National Business Group on Health.
- Since the recognition program began in 2005, Aetna has received the platinum award seven times and the gold award once for establishing ‘healthy weight, healthy lifestyles’ programs with measurable documented outcomes.
- ‘At Aetna, we believe promoting healthy lifestyles in the workplace is an investment in our employees and our business,’ said Deanna Fidler, Aetna’s senior vice president and head of Human Resources.
- Has an Aetna Foundation whose mission is to promote wellness, health, and access to high-quality health care for everyone, while supporting the communities they serve
- The Aetna Foundation wants to understand the contributors to obesity, particularly among minority populations, and what supports and sustains better choices that can stave off overeating and reduce inactivity.
- Get Active Aetna, a popular 16-week wellness program that offers prizes to motivate employees to eat healthy and exercise.
- Healthy Lifestyles Incentive program, which offers financial incentives for exercising and eating healthy.
- Metabolic Syndrome program, which measures employees’ risk for certain conditions, such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
- Virtual Wellness Center, a computer-based resource that offers a virtual kitchen and a virtual fitness center, where animated instructors lead workouts that vary by intensity.
58. The Coca-Cola Company
59. Lockheed Martin Company
- ‘Making your health, and the health of your family, a priority. It’s no secret that healthy people make fewer doctor visits. That’s why Lockheed Martin places such an emphasis on its health and wellness programs to encourage employees to take positive steps to improve their health and, when needed, get the right medical care.’
- Offers cash incentives towards employee’s HealthFund for healthy actions such as taking assessments, getting active, and taking health coaching
60. Best Buy Co, Inc.
- What employees get for working at Best Buy is based on a comprehensive Rewards strategy, which includes a combination of pay, benefits, work/life options and professional-development opportunities.
- If employees land a job on their Corporate Campus, they have access to a coffee shop, health club, bank, cafeteria, child care center, general store and more.
61. The Walt Disney Company
62. CHS, Inc.
63. Sysco Corporation
64. FedEx Corporation
65. Merck & Co, Inc.
- As a global healthcare company, Merck is committed to helping our employees manage and improve their health and well-being.
- Some of their services and programs cover the continuum of care for those who are well, those at risk, those with acute or chronic illnesses, and those requiring complex or catastrophic care.
- Merck’s employee wellness initiative is branded as LIVE IT: Be Well at Merck. LIVE IT is an initiative that brings together all of Merck’s U.S. health and wellness offerings under one integrated platform and provides most U.S.-based employees and eligible family members with access to a broad suite of helpful health and wellness tools, programs and information.
- Merck provides a health and wellness website for U.S.-based employees and their dependents that features a personal health assessment questionnaire, online interactive health tools and information, health-coaching programs, and more.
- The website is designed to raise awareness about health issues and to motivate employees to manage and improve their health and well-being.
- To contribute to a healthy work culture, Merck works with their on-site food vendor at most of our U.S. facilities to increase the availability and visibility of healthy food choices and to raise awareness of proper nutrition. Employees also receive discounts for healthy food purchases. In addition, many Merck sites around the globe have cafeterias that offer healthy food options and nutrition education.
- Merck offers access to on-site fitness centers at several large U.S. facilities, as well as at other Merck/MSD facilities around the world. In the U.S., professional fitness managers organize programs and events to encourage employees to eat well, manage their weight, exercise, and participate in various fitness challenges and other special events.
66. INTL FCStone Inc
- Employees are offered a competitive benefits package, which offers wellness options.
- INTL FCStone’s strategy for employee wellness maximizes the experience of their workforce to yield high quality communication and strong financial results and this creates a passionate and dedicated workforce.
67. Safeway, Inc.
68. Johnson Controls, Inc.
- In the US, Johnson Controls offers their Employee Assistance Program with Ceridian Lifeworks.
- ‘Ceridian LifeWorks wellness programs help make employees healthier and more productive while reducing health care costs. LifeWorks wellness programs give your employees the tools, guidance and resources to address health risks and lead a healthy lifestyle.’
- LifeWorks wellness programs are designed to help employees identify risks and improve their health in a variety of ways, including:
- Health risk assessments
- Outreach and engagement services
- Health coaching online or by phone for:
- Tobacco cessation
- Weight management
- Stress management
- Online workshops and team challenges
- Online trackers for exercise and nutrition
- Incentive programs to encourage participation
69. Ingram Micro, Inc.
70. Plains GP Holdings, L.P.
- No information was found on Health/Fitness for employees.
71. World Fuel Services Corporation
- Have a gym inside their facilities for employees.
72. Prudential Financial, Inc.
- Their rewards program is one of the reasons why employees start a career with Prudential.
- The rewards program includes reduced fees for shopping, entertainment, fitness center membership, travel, and telephone service.
73. Humana, Inc.
- Humana’s health products and services provide personal wellness and smart healthcare decisions for employees and their families.
- Following are their health and wellness benefits
- Healthcare spending accounts
- Supplemental health
- Long-term care
- Employee assistance program
- Personal health coaching
- On-site health screenings
- Flu shots
74. The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc.
- They provide wellness services and they vary from state to state.
- In their New York, New Jersey and Chicago offices, they have on- site fitness centers available for their employees, while in all other locations they reimburse fees paid for a fitness club membership or activity (up to a pre-approved amount).
75. Tesoro Corporation
- Along with Health insurance plans they have wellness program which offers reimbursements for fitness and weight management programs, encouraging employees to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
76. Liberty Mutual Holding Inc.
- Offers myPersonal Best, a wellness program for employees that promotes physical, emotional and financial health.
- Provides customized resources and information in:
- life balance
- preventive care
- condition management
- These resources help employees take charge of employee health and well-being.
77. Honeywell International Inc.
- Is currently getting sued by the government because it said that employees were getting fined if they or they spouses didn’t take biometric testing.
- Honeywell states its screening program is designed to encourage employees to live more healthier and thereby create lower health care costs for themselves and the company. The company said the program complies with health care-related laws, including the Affordable Care Act.
78. United Continental Holdings
79. HCA Holdings Inc.
- HCA has partnered with H2U to offer the HCA Wellness Program – Life: Live it Well. This program offers the information, resources and support employees need to better manage their health.
- The HCA Wellness Program offers the opportunity to earn Wellness Credits in a Health Reimbursement Account (HRA) when employees complete certain wellness activities within 30 days of their benefits effective date.
80. Deere & Company
- No info on any wellness and fitness benefits provided to employees.
81. Delta Air Lines, Inc.
82. Oracle Corporation
- In many Oracle locations, employees have access to onsite fitness facilities or reduced membership rates at offsite health clubs. In some countries, employee’s health club fees and other related expenses are reimbursable or provided as a benefit.
- Oracle promotes employee health and wellness through a variety of initiatives such as health fairs, biometric screenings, flu shots, general health education, and the promotion of preventive care. Programs vary by country and region but align with Oracle’s overall goal to support employee’s well-being.
83. Morgan Stanley
84. Hess Corporation
- Hess promotes employee health through a variety of health management resources and tools focused on diet, nutrition, exercise and disease management.
- In December 2009, it was announced that Hess joined RedBrick’s Health Earnings System- which is a fully integrated platform for creating financial alignment between employers and employees around containing health care costs, while enabling both parties to benefit from improved health and productivity.
85. Twenty-First Century Fox, Inc.
86. E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company
- No mention of fitness or wellness benefits on corporate website.
87. Sears Holding Corporation
- No mention of fitness or wellness benefits on corporate website.
88. New York Life Insurance Company
89. Mondelez International Inc.
90. American Express Company
- Provides a Healthy Living Workplace Wellness Program that encompases worksites in 22 different countries.
- Employees receive on-site medical care, including dental, dermatological, and well woman exams.
- They’ve also teamed up with local farms to serve nutritious, sustainable meals (and providing lessons in making them at home).
- Hosted a health and safety fair involving the families so everyone benefited from information regarding preventing diseases and injuries.
- Received the 2011 Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles award.
- American Express received a Gold Award for its Healthy Living corporate wellness program that encourages preventive care and healthy lifestyles among American Express employees and their families.
- Improve health of employees and their dependents by encouraging positive health choices (physical, social, and financial).
91. Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co.
- Provide onsite fitness centers at select locations.
- Employee discounts at certain National Fitness Centers.
- They offer health assessment, lifestyle behavior coaching, integrated absence/disability/workers’ compensation/disease management, health advocacy/education, consumer directed health care, occupational health clinics, walking programs, healthy dining options, free/discounted fitness centers and EAP/behavioral programs.
- Key components are:
- Commitment – Giving associates and retirees the support they need to live healthier and help them and Nationwide better control health care costs.
- Confidentiality – Assure associates and retirees that confidentiality is a priority. Nationwide does not have access to their individual health information.
- Culture of health – Create lasting behavioral change. Associates and retirees have the power to make a difference in their health and health care costs by the lifestyle choices they make.
- Nationwide employees were challenged to enhance their participation in the company’s My Health corporate wellness program, in return they voluntarily pledged donated $100,000 to support the fight against hunger.
92. The Allstate Corporation
- Allstate came up with a program called Destination: You, a program to track and motivate physical activity, to more than 10,000 Allstate employees nationwide.
- This positions Allstate as an industry leader taking progressive steps to help employees enhance their overall wellness through increased daily steps.
- Destination: You includes online education, workplace motivation, and incentives to boost activity through realistic goal-setting and tracking.
- The web-based program uses activity trackers to calculate their daily steps taken, distances walked and calories burned. The information is then uploaded in real time to a personal website that tracks and manages each employee’s physical activity and goals.
93. Tyson Foods, Inc.
- No wellness or fitness programs found.
94. Supervalu Inc.
96. Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company
- MassMutual medical coverage helps employees and their spouses and domestic partners become more aware of their current health status, and provides opportunities to learn about healthy behaviors and participate in health-related activities.
- Financial incentives are part of the wellness program. Eligible employees who complete applicable programs receive money in their health savings account.
97. CIGNA Corporation
- DIRECTV offers Flexible Spending Accounts and Wellness Employee Assistance programs.
- Employees have access to benefit plans and wellness programs that support healthy lifestyle choices to feel good, work better and live well.
99. General Dynamics Corporation
100. Philip Morris International
Health Fitness Revolution by Samir Becic Foundation is a 501(c)3 organization, to make the world a healthier, fitter place, please donate!
Yoga is an ancient philosophy from India which is explained in many spiritual texts such as the Jnaneshwariand Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra. Yoga is a Sanskrit word meaning ‘union’ implying ‘Union with the All-pervading Consciousness’. Patanjali describes six paths to Yoga and Hatha – the technique of physical postures to correct imbalances – is just one of them; however this is what Yoga has come to mean in the West.
Although thousands of years old, Yoga philosophy is still relevant today. Why? you may ask. Well, inside each of us are the same intrinsic qualitieswhich, when developed, bring a human being to a higher state of awareness. The direct experience of Yoga gives us an understanding of the meaning of our lives and an inner light to guide our own development.
Can we experience Yoga in London?
In the past, Yoga masters imposed a rigid discipline on students to help them overcome their vices, ego and conditionings; and once free from these burdens the seekers could get their Self-realization – a state of inner stillness, heightened awareness and joy, known as Yoga.
A Guru might guide a ‘Seeker of Truth’ for many years to prepare them for Jagruti – ‘awakening’ so that the student would understandthe nature of the experience;. achieving second birth, tasting enlightenment, attaining liberation, realising the True Self.
This meant cutting oneself off from the world – an approach that was never feasible for the majority of people and would preclude the attainment of Self-realisation en-masse. For this reason, it was necessary to develop a method of spreading this precious knowledge to those still in the world without diminishing the depth of the experience.
On May 5th 1970 Shri Mataji Nirmala Devifound the key to developing the method of Sahaja Yoga,
Sahaja Yoga Meditation gives people the experience of Yoga in a simple and natural way, without having to renounce normal existence. On the contrary, learning to deal with daily life in a balanced and detached way becomes a vehicle for personal growth. Today it is possible to have an experience in a London Meditation Meeting in Hackney, Harrow or Hounslow as deep as in some rural retreat, say, up in the Himalayas.
Yoga has always been ‘ Sahaja’– ‘innate and spontaneous’; it is a gift bestowed on those who desire it. Without losing its ancient roots, Sahaja Yoga has brought this experience within the grasp of every person on the planet.
Shri Mataji has the ability to awaken the spiritual energy lying dormant within each of us, giving the experience of Yoga straight away. In Her presence people have readily experienced ‘Thoughtless Awareness’ a state of peace and joy where the mind subsides and we become ‘Pure Consciousness’.
Those to whom Shri Mataji gave this awakening are then able to pass it on to others. She transformed people into higher beings and ‘delivered the goods’ spiritually.
Our Spiritual Being has a structure, a subtle system composed of Chakras– ‘Energy Wheels’ and Nadis– ‘Energy Channels’. When ‘awakened’ the Kundalini energy in the Sacrum Bone rises up the Central Channel in the spine, passing through each of the Chakras until it pierces the Fontanelle bone at the top of the head to connect our awareness to the All-pervading Universal Energy, giving us Self-realisation..
The conditions for this to happen are a desire to know the truth and the presence of someone who already has this awakening; just as ‘one candle enlightens another’.
Once awakened this energy works on our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual bodies to integrate them and bring us ‘into the centre’, where we deal with everything in a balanced way and enjoy the present moment. This awakened Kundalini often manifests as a feeling of coolness on the palms of the hands or on top of the head.
Try this simple exercise.
Sit upright for a few moments, with your hands held out palms upwards towards the photograph of Shri Mataji.
What do you feel?
The Self in question, also known as ‘the Spirit’, is the detached witness behind the mind and the senses. We can only become conscious of this if the outward flow of thoughts, desires and effort stops and we turn inward. Here is the catch because mental effort cannot achieve this.
Self-realisation starts when the dormant energy Kundalini is awakened. As it rises it pulls our attention up; finally reaching the Crown Chakra at the top of the head, known as Sahasrāra – ‘the thousand-petalled Lotus’, which is beyond the mental plane. Here we experience liberation from the pressures of the past and the future, from guilt, anger and pride in a state of ‘Thoughtless Awareness’.
It is a natural and spontaneous process which is best allowed to work out without too much striving. As long as we have the feeling that we are ‘doing something’ the mind is engaged and the ego present. So ‘letting go’ is more effective than ‘trying’ to get the experience. A Zen story tells how a Seeker asked the Master how long it would take him to get enlightenment, to which the Master replied ‘About ten years’. The student was shocked and asked how long it would take if he tried really hard and made a tremendous effort; to which the Master replied, ‘In that case, probably twenty years’.
Achieving Yoga – the awakening KundaliniCan it really be that easy? – watch this
We are living in a special time when all people who sincerely want to know the truth can have this awakening effortlessly; we only need to let it happen. This knowledge has to be a living experience not just a mental concept.
One of the beauties of Yoga is that, as well as being a blissful and enjoyable experience, it has the ‘side-effect’ of improving all aspects of our lives; worries and stress can reduce, relationships and health can improve, and we can feel more satisfaction and joy in our every-day life.
Through Sahaja Yoga one also learns to recognise the signs of being ‘out of balance’ and to employ simple techniques to correct ourselves such as meditating with the feet soaking in warm salty water. It is reassuring to know that we have the power to go from a state of being over-heated and frenetic to peaceful and serene in a matter of a few minutes. Once peace and joy become established in our lives we start to value them.
Shri Mataji came to live in London in 1974, and ran meetings personally for many years. Since then free weekly meditation meetings have been running continuously all over the UK and in many other countries.
She gave hundreds of lectures, both in public and to gatherings of experienced Yogis, explaining how to utilise this inner energy to purify ourselves and grow from tiny seeds into mighty trees of spiritual knowledge spreading love to all around us.
Meditation meetings, seminars, workshops and day retreats are available in London, throughout the UK and world-wide. There is never any charge for Sahaja Yoga instruction or for Self-realisation which is the birthright of every human being.
Why not drop in, try it for yourself and see whether this is what you are looking for. Everyone is welcome of any age or background.
There are centres in:- Anerley, Balham, Chelsea, Covent Garden, Ealing, Fulham, Greenwich, Hackney, Harrow, Hounslow, Leytonstone, Streatham, Swiss Cottage, Walthamstow.
If you would like to receive news of upcoming events, including our One Day Retreats, please register for the Sahaj eNewsletter
Most meetings are in the evening and run from 7.30 – 9.30 pm.
Stressed out about school, work, family, and friends? Student Health & Wellness can help! We provide FREE stress management consultations for UI students. Information and education are provided on:
- Individual stress assessment and management
- Short and long-term relaxation techniques
- Time management
How to schedule an appointment
To schedule an appointment, call 319-335-8394.
Online resources on stress management
You don’t have to spend years living in the mountains to achieve enlightenment. You don’t have to give up anything or spend weeks in silence. You don’t have to learn mantras or wear special clothes or even try to clear your mind. With Sahaja Yoga Meditation we generally sit on chairs to achieve Yoga, effortlessly & spontaneously. As such no exercises (Asanas) are required, nor Mat or special clothing. The meditation simply happens spontaneously. The classes are easy and fun, and as long as you keep up your daily ten minutes of meditation you find you are able to achieve a deep and peaceful meditation on a regular basis.
Sahaja Yoga Meditation takes you into the state of ‘thoughtless awareness’.
True meditation is a state of deep peace where the mind is absolutely calm and silent, yet completely alert – a state of being known as ‘thoughtless awareness’. Throughout history, mystics, saints and prophets have spoken of this experience. They removed themselves from society, sought ways to cleanse themselves of human troubles and devoted their lives to achieving their spiritual ascent. Their aim was to achieve ‘self realisation’ – a state of being where the human spirit becomes one with the Divine, where fear and anger are replaced with joy, contentment, inner balance and peace.
Sahaja Yoga meditation delivers – ‘mental silence’, to meditators across London.
Through Sahaja Yoga, the experience of ‘mental silence’ is now possible for every human being, effortlessly. Meditation helps you evolve. Meditation raises resistance to stress. More meditation, less conflict. Pop along to one of the Free Meditation London classes
Sahaja Yoga is the simplest way to obtain natural wellbeing.
Even after the first experience of Sahaja Yoga, you can begin to experience a widespread feeling of relaxation and peace; and after a few moments of practice you can begin to establish a continuous state of wellbeing and serenity. Meditation in London is not only possible, it is exceptional.
Sahaja Yoga is free
There is never any charge for Sahaja Yoga instruction or for receiving one’s self realisation which is the birthright of every human being. This philosophy of Sahaja Yoga is based on the fact that it is not possible to pay for what already exists inside us and merely needs to be awakened. We can pay for renting a room, for printing material, but what can we pay for awakening our own true nature? So you can learn to Meditate in London for free at one of the many Free Meditation London classes
Sahaja Yoga is a method of spontaneous meditation
Everything happens in a spontaneous way inside you, just like a plant naturally grows from a seed. Meditation is a state of being in which we are in thoughtless awareness: perfectly aware and alert, but free from thoughts. This state of peace of mind can be reached thanks to the Sahaja Yoga method in a simple and natural way. It is not necessary to take difficult physical positions, or abandon our daily life or to read complicated philosophical studies. Being able to Meditate in London is now a daily reality for many.
Sahaja Yoga helps you to make your life more joyful
As you begin to meditate, spontaneously, tensions accumulated in daily life are released. As our inner state re-balances, we may feel a renewed energy for life. Innate virtues and inner qualities may become nourished. These experiences of enhanced self knowledge allow us to understand ourselves more clearly. As we become clearer, we may also gain a better understanding of the plight of others and thereby naturally become more compassionate and patient. Many meditate in London together to benefit from the collective effect of doing it in a wider community.
Sahaja Yoga helps you face and dissolve anger, fear, guilt and worry.
Many of us may have accumulated unhelpful emotions like anger, fear, guilt and worry, which can hamper our enjoyment of life here in London. It can be difficult to shake off these unhelpful feelings which can ‘hold us down’. Sahaja Yoga equips us to gradually attend on these states of being, aiding us in our daily journey, to dissolve and release these built up inner conditions. As more and more discover how easy it can be to meditate in London, it has a collective positive effect on everyone.
Sahaja Yoga allows you to acquire a deep knowledge of yourself.
Sahaja Yoga allows you to obtain a pure knowledge of the self, not veiled by deluding ideals and false conditionings. The idea is that we get to live in a clearer reality, rather then the worldview created by the ego. Inner beauty should blossom just like a flower manifesting all its fragrance, hopefully leading to a state where we are all in better harmony with ourselves and the world. Learn to Meditate in London and tap into your own own serenity, balance and silence.
London is a great City to practice meditation in
If you are already living in London, the only place you need to retreat to is that place of mental silence within yourself, no need to travel any further then the Sahasrara Chakra at the crown of the head.
We wish you a fruitful journey in the exploration of your inner self!
There are around 16 weekly meetings across London. Free London Meditation Meetings