Benefits of sport
There are plenty of reasons why getting off the couch and into your games kit is a good thing. Our bodies are like cars; they need to move to function well!
Physically, sport helps you lose weight, enjoy a more toned body and show stamina on the sports field. Regular exercise also boosts self-confidence and mental concentration. Even if you’re no Johnny Wilkinson, being fit is a big plus; enhancing co-ordination, agility and cardiovascular fitness. You’ll probably even pick up some new mates whilst you’re at it.
Regular exercise improves health and fitness. Health is defined as a state of complete mental, physical and social well-being; not merely the absence of illness or infirmity. Fitness is the ability to meet the demands of the environment.
Mental benefits include:
- improved confidence
- relief of stress/tension and stress related illness [ Stress-related illness: Caused by tension and worry. Includes conditions such as depression, insomnia and anxiety. ]
Physical benefits include:
Social benefits include:
Being a member of a sports club and regularly participating in sport will develop personal qualities from:
- Co-operation – working with others.
- Competition – testing yourself against others.
- Physical challenge – testing yourself against the environment or your best performances.
- Aesthetic appreciation – recognizing quality of movement in a performance.